Stuffed Hatch Peppers
Barley and TVP stuffed Hatch green chili peppers
Write a review
- 7-10 mild Hatch peppers
- 3/4 cup pearled barley
- 3 cups vegetable stock for cooking barley
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or water) for cooking rice
- 1 1/2 cups TVP
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 medium tomato
- olive oil for cooking
- cumin, chili powder (to taste)
Cheezy Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp olive oil
- To prepare barley, bring vegetable stock to a boil, add pearled barley and lower temperature.
- Cover and let cook 45-50 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- To prepare rice, bring water or stock to boil, add rice and drop temperature to low.
- Cover and let cook 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Wash peppers and slice tops off so peppers have a boat appearance. Remove seeds (carefully - they will burn your hands!)
- Heat TVP granules with enough water to cover by 1/2 inch for 5 minutes. Let sit until reconstituted.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat olive oil, minced yellow onion, minced scallions, and minced peppers (use half of the tops that were removed).
- When onions and peppers have softened, add TVP and spiced. Cook on medium heat until TVP has browned.
To prepare the filling
- Combine the cooked barley with seasoned TVP.
To prepare the Cheezy sauce
- Combine and whisk together ingredients for cheezy sauce (except olive oil),and heat on medium heat until sauce has thickened.
- Add olive oil and stir. Remove from heat.
To prepare stuffed peppers
- Fill each pepper with a heaping amount of filling.
- Top with diced tomato and 1 - 2 dollops of cheezy sauce.
- Cover skillet and let cook on low-medium heat until peppers have cooked through (around 20 minutes).
- Serve on a bed of seasoned rice.
To prepare seasoned rice
- After stuffing the peppers, combine remaining filling with basmati rice.
- Mild Hatch peppers are just that, mild. However, take care when removing the seeds - they will burn your fingers!
Michelle Down Home http://michelledownhome.com/
*Disclaimer – this is not a vegan food blogging group so recipes *may* not be vegan.
Lemon Cherry Infused Water – The Late Farmer
Crock Pot Beef Dip Sandwiches – My Six Ring Circus